Meaning of the Colour Black
Black is associated with night and death. From a positive perspective it can show power, authority, sophistication, elegance, formality and seriousness. It is also supposed to boost self-confidence and strength. From a negative viewpoint, however, it can indicate fear, evil, secrecy, mourning, heaviness, unfriendliness, remorse and emptiness.
Below are some of the meanings of the colour black associated with specific cultures.
- America and Europe: Associated with mourning and bereavement.
- American, European and Japanese youth: Represents rebellion.
- Asia: Associated with career, knowledge, mourning and penance.
- China: A colour for little boys.
- Thailand: Represents bad luck, unhappiness and evil.